What Is HRA Full Form And How To Calculate?
What Is HRA Full Form?
- The HRA full form stands for House Rent Allowance. It is mostly exempted from this House Rent Allowance tax only for those living in a rented house. These are part of your salary paid by the employer to cover the rent expenses for accommodation.
- This HRA deduction is deducted from the annual income of a salaried and self-employed person while filing an ITR. It is the amount of tax credit that can be claimed, which enables an individual to reduce his annual income and save some tax.
Factors Affecting HRA Full Form Calculation Include:
Actual HRA received
- These are amounts received by the employees from the employer.
This is the amount the employees pay for the place they live in. These include maintenance and basic rent etc. This fee does not have electricity, water, and other utilities.
- This type of service component is included if the employee’s salary is based on basic salary and allowances.
Place Of Residence
It relates to the city or town where the employees have settled their residence. Different cities are classified into different categories with different HRA exemption limits.
Tax Exemption From HRA Full Form
- Actual HRA received
- 10% of salary minus rent
- 50% or 40% of the salary is exempted depending on the place of residence.
- The remaining amount, if any, will be included in the taxable income of the employee and subject to income tax as per the relevant tax slab rates.
HRA For Self-Employed Individuals
- HRA exemption is not available for self-employed persons, but salaried persons can avail of this rent payment arrangement.
- Self-employed persons can avail of tax benefits under the provisions of Section 10(13A) and exemption under Section 80GG of the Income Tax Act.
HRA For Salaried Individuals
- For salaried persons, HRA is a good part of their salary structure. It is determined based on the basic salary of the employee, the actual rent paid, and the city they live in.
- The amount of HRA varies depending on the policies of the company and the salary of the employee. Section 10 (13A) of the Income Tax Act Rule no. Salary is defined as gross house rent allowance under 2A.
How To Calculate HRA Full Form
- The salary of employees has many parts like public and private sector and they are allocated for various expenses. This HRA exemption is fixed by the agreement between you and your employer. HRA tax exemption is given on a minimum amount under Section 10 (13A) of the Income Act.
- The amount of HRA provided by the employer is 50% of your salary if you are a resident of a metro city in India. If you are a resident of a non-metro city then you are entitled to 40% of your salary. You will be paid every month.
- 10% of the actual rent will be deducted from your salary.
HRA Deduction = (Actual HRA received) or (Rent paid – 10% of salary)
Advantages Of HRA Full Form
- The first advantage of house rent allowance is that it provides a means of significantly reducing taxable income. A rent receipt must be sent to your employer to confirm your rent payment.
- To meet the cost of living in rented accommodation, employers have the option of paying House Rent Allowance to their employees, which helps bona fide taxpayers fulfill their genuine claim.
The Following Conditions Must Met By HRA
- This deduction is available only if the employees actually pay the rent of their flats. Meanwhile, if you have not paid the rent, then no deduction is allowed. The income tax officer can ask for the rent receipt of this house as proof of your expenditure.
- If the salary, rent, and city of residence change throughout the year, the amount of deduction will be calculated every month if it is already positive.
- Rent paid to a family member is also taxable in the hands of the family member who receives the rent. If an employee lives in a rented place, he can claim an exemption even if he owns a house in a separate municipality.